The sponsors of Great Britain’s Turner Prize (Gordon’s) have also sponsored a survey of 500 artists, curators, critics, and dealers to come up with the 10 most influential modern works of art.
1. Marcel Duchamp, Fountain (the artists’ overwhelming first choice)
2. Pablo Picasso, Les Demoiselles d’Avignon
3. Andy Warhol, Marilyn
4. Pablo Picasso, Guernica
5. Henri Matisse, Red Studio
6 Joseph Beuys, I Like America and America Likes Me
Read about this performance: http://www.adbusters.org/magazine/art_activism/joseph.html
and here: Walker Art Center
7. Constantin Brancusi, Endless Column (shown here on the right)
Read about the restoration of this sculpture by my favorite sculptor.
8. Jackson Pollock, One: No 31
9. Donald Judd, 100 untitled works in mill aluminium
10. Henry Moore, Reclining Figure (1929)