Happy New Year!
I love this quote from Alan Weiss in his January Balancing Act Newsletter: “Don’t just deck the halls, clear the decks.” He’s encouraging his readers to use the beginning of this New Year as a time of reNEWal. In order to renew, you have to clean out first. In order to make room for better things in your life, you have to recycle and reject some of the stuff that’s taking up space right now.
I did some of this last week in order to prepare for the New Year. Of course there is always more to be done, but every little bit helps. Here are some ideas for clearing your deck for 2008.
- Discard all pens that don’t work and art supplies that have dried up. (Do the same for makeup and personal hygiene products.)
- Donate any art supplies you no longer use to your local school.
- Clean out two paper file folders and two electronic file folders every day until you’ve gone through everything.
- Back up your computer.
- Combine all of your Post-It notes, lists, and scraps of paper into one organized task list.
- Clean out one drawer, shelf, or box a day.
- Donate any Christmas decorations and clothes that you no longer love.
Those should get you started. If you want to dig deeper, join us for “Get Organized!”, an online month-long class to kick off your New Year right (begins January 9).