Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.
–Sun-tzu, Chinese general & military strategist (ca. 400 BCE)
This week’s Art Marketing Action newsletter helps you identify your competition. Here are some ways to keep an eye on competitors.
- Attend openings and events for your competition. Always introduce yourself front and center to the other artists. Hold your head high and emit confidence. Never cower in the background. (Ideas for mingling at art openings)
- Keep an eye on your competition’s Web site and blog. Sign up for any newsletters and blog updates.
- Track the pricing of your competitors, being especially mindful of price changes.
- Pay attention to any new offerings (new work, services, classes) from your competition.
- You have Google Alerts lined up for yourself, right? Why not add your competitors’ names to your list? This should keep you current.
Above all, give yourself credit for everything. Although you might not have approached your career in the same way the competition has, that doesn’t mean your way isn’t every bit as valid. Know what they do better than you, but recognize where you excel. Play to your strengths.