It takes some effort to turn Facebook friends into fans, but it can be done.
If you’ve been on Facebook for a while, you probably started with a (personal) profile and tried to friend as many people as possible. Then you realized that you need a business page because 1) business pages are public and are indexed by search engines, and 2) Facebook doesn’t allow business promotions on profile pages. If you haven’t created a page yet, see these instructions.
Now that you have a business page, you’re probably wondering how to get your friends to become fans. Here are seven steps to help you with the process.
1. After creating your business page on Facebook (a.k.a. fan page), add content to your wall and photos of your art. It should look active and used—even without a large number of fans—before you start telling people about it.
2. Send private messages to your 10 best friends on Facebook and ask them if they will please “Like” your page. (This turns them into fans.) Encourage them to write a note on your wall. This should make the page look a little livelier.
3. Post a note to your personal profile wall inviting all of your friends to become fans. Do this at least once a week for the first month and then monthly thereafter.
4. As soon as you have 25 fans, you can go to http://facebook.com/username and snag a good URL for your Facebook page. You want something that is easier to remember than the string of letters and numbers that Facebook automatically generates. For example, Lorena Fernandez’s fan page is http://www.facebook.com/LorenaFernandezArt.
5. Add your fan page URL, including the http://, to your short bio that appears in the left column of your personal profile. It won’t show up as a blue hyperlink, but it’s still live.
6. Suggest your page to your friends on Facebook. (See image above.) From your fan page, 1) click on Suggest Page to Friends in the left sidebar. If you have your friends broken down into Lists, you can 2) select a list and then click on 3) Select All. Facebook automatically eliminates any friend who is already a fan. (How cool is that?)
7. Get out of the habit of asking people to friend you on Facebook. Instead, encourage them to become fans. Add your fan page link to your website, your blog sidebar, and your signature block.
Listen to the audio version of this post.