Guest blogger: Nithya Swaminathan
If you have a business page on Facebook, follow these instructions to create a custom welcome page.
The image at right is what you will see when you visit Fine Art by Nithya Swaminathan and aren’t already a fan of my page. If you are a fan, then you will see the “Wall” by default and you can click on “Welcome” to your left to see this same welcome page.
- When someone visits your facebook page for the first time, this page will give them and introduction to your work.
- You can feature your best work on the welcome page, instead of a visitor having to go through all your albums to find them.
- You can list all of your important links, like your blog, website, and online store.
- You can include a call to action, as I have, requesting visitors to like the page.
- You can inform them about your newsletter or other events and opportunities.
To design a personalized welcome landing page in 30 minutes, follow these steps.
Step 1: Select an App
- There are many apps like Pagemodo, Custom Welcome Tab, Static FBML that can be used to create a custom welcome page. Try searching “custom” to see many more.
- My page uses “Pagemodo,” because it provided an impressive array of options, including page templates.
- After you have made your selection, authorize the app with your credentials and proceed.
Step 2: Choose Your Page Template
Select a template that offers video, images, or whatever other types of content you wish to display on the landing page. I wanted to showcase as many images of my work as possible, so I went for a template that let me add 7 images.
Step 3: Add Content to Your Page
The app provides a rich text editor to add text, images, links and format them. Just scroll down and add each page element.
After adding each image, there is an image editor that lets you crop and edit.
A hyperlink can be added to every image and text box. Other elements like text color, background color, and font style can also be customized.
Play around with the app to arrive and something that you really like.
Step 4: Complete Your Welcome Page and Install It
- You could select a free or a paid option. I think the free version is good enough.
- When you scroll down and click “Install,” the link for your custom page is added to your menu.
- Now in your fan page, select Edit Page and go to “Manage Permissions.”
- In the “Default Landing Tab” dropdown box, select the page you just designed.
- Save your changes.
Voilà! You are done! A first-time visitor to your page will see a personalized page with all the information that you would like someone to know about your work.
Go ahead and personalize your page! Play around with more apps, more styles and design it the way you like it.
About the Author
Nithya Swaminathan is an Indian artist living in Germany. She paints bold and vibrant scenes from everyday life using a palette knife. Her work is in private collections in the US, Europe and Asia.
Nithya invites you to see her welcome page and become a fan on Facebook.