What Is Your Morning Routine? (Curious Monday)

Ruth-Anne Siegel painting of coffee cup

©Ruth-Anne Siegel, A Bright Spot. Oil on linen, 36 x 24 inches. Used with permission.

If you ever doubted that routines are important for doing strong creative work, read Twyla Tharp’s book, The Creative Habit.

What is your morning routine?

What do you do each morning without thinking? What do you wish you would be able to do in the mornings?

Do you rise and shine early? Or are you a late starter?

Please leave a comment below.

About Curious Monday

Curious Monday is a weekly question that is sent only to subscribers.

I’m curious about how you live your life as an artist, how you juggle the demands on your time, and what you’re thinking about.

I hope you’ll read the responses from other artists. Maybe you’ll get some ideas or even feel a little more connected as a result.

Feel free to leave suggestions for future Curious Monday questions in a comment.

Subscribe to Curious Monday

Send to Kindle

165 comments to What Is Your Morning Routine? (Curious Monday)

  • I am home educating my bonus baby, Jubilee who is 11, and I get up about 7:30 and pray, journal and read my bible before I wake up Jubi. There is usually fussing over how slowly she consumes breakfast and then we start school. We do school on a twin bed with our 70 pound boxer who thinks he is a lap dog. We usually start with read out loud to each other then the more standard fare. She has some computer classes and I try to do my computer work while she is doing her computer classes. All this happens in the studio so I also paint while she works. Sometimes she paints or knits while I read out loud. Sometimes I knit while she reads out loud. It is a very good life. It is no wonder I am behind with class assignments. I am having too much fun.

  • Lyn McPhail

    Unfortunately my morning routine does not contain any artistic pursuits. Am committed to keeping fit most mornings. At least a 3k walk or 2.5k swim or 1 – 2 hr kayak. Then the interruptions of Grand children baby sitting , council meetings,

    I am struggling to find time to relax to paint.
    Time management is a problem.
    Also my adjustment of downsizing from a 2 storey house on 900 sq mt block, to a 150 sq mt block in a small two bedroom home,.

    Looking to change my type of painting. from good size acrylic canvas
    to smaller ink/wash .larger size acrylic on a divided Strip canvas.????????
    Working on me.

  • Orla

    Love the painting “a bright spot” by the way……

    I try to spend time on Monday being in nature as wknd usually involves catching up with friends so peace & quiet in nature on Monday helps connect back to my art mojo :0)

  • Taffina

    My day begins at 6:30 am, feed my pesty cat. I then make coffee and empty the dishwasher while the coffee machine is brewing……I also may throw a load of laundry in machine. I don’t get dressed yet, but lounge in pj’s drink coffee and enjoy 30 min Bible study and proceed to check emails and phone messages, go over the tasks I’ve laid out the night before and write down five of the most important things I need to do on an old paint house color chart sample kit. I love this, each strip has gradiating colors samples and I write on the colors and then fold it up so I could only see one task at a time. I carry it in my pocket all day as a little pod to remind me to do them. I would not function with out this system! I tear off the paint samples as I finish the written task and throw it away till I’m done with all of them. IT feels sooo good to do that! I have a raspberry and peony farm so I spend the first 3 hours managing the farm. I usually spend a 60-90 minutes in studio take a break converse with family or do errands…paint out plein air if weather is good or go back to my mobile studio to set up for the next day. Office work administration stuff I do at night…in between youtube art videos! I’m still a work in progress to establish a routine that will be most productive for myself.

  • I have a day job.
    I wake up well before dawn, wash up, eat breakfast, treat Simon cat. Maybe I listen to part of a book, maybe music, maybe just silence because my husband left before me. I’m standing until I hop into my car for the drive that seems to get longer as the area slowly grows more homes.

    I get to work, take my allergy therapy, turn on the computer, get to work. I read my affirmation cards will the computer wakes up slower than I do (which is saying a lot). After reviewing some paperwork and emails, I hop to my blog feeder and do some reading. Most times, I don’t comment.

    If I were to wake up earlier, might as well not sleep at all…and I need my sleep or watch out.

    I paint in the late afternoons, early evenings. The last eight months have been a strange life with my better half (husband)…so that is mostly interrupted for the time being and we are slowly returning to that routine.

  • I wish I had a morning routine. But that is one of the things I intend to change on my vacation next week. Get into the habit of a fitness routine and a creative routine everyday. I just read Molly Crabapple’s book, and her mother told her to make some art everyday. I love it. I intend to take that advice going forward.

  • Up at 6 to sit and stare and have a cuppa coffee. An hour walk and then into my studio space by 9 on the days I don’t go to my paycheck job. No social media until mid afternoon. It’s a routine I developed many years ago and find great comfort in.

  • Loy

    I get up and shower and dress. Then I sit at my kitchen table, drink two big glasses of water and write a couple of pages of wake-up drivel. After that it varies according to which part-time job is on the schedule for the day. But I need to stop looking at social media at all until the end of my day – that’s my new “habit in the making”.

  • I have settled into a comfortable morning routine now that I am 57. In my younger years mornings were very hectic with the children and getting to work. Now, I don’t have that pressure and I can focus on me. Mornings I devote to taking care of our six rescue cats, a stroll through the garden to pluck a few weeds (great meditation time) and then to my studio to handle the business side of my art. Emails, updating my website, posts on Facebook and other social media, photographing my art, etc.

    I don’t begin painting until usually noon and then paint all afternoon ending around 5 or 6 p.m. I could paint longer, but the hubby comes home and wants his time too.

  • Monica

    Up at 5:00 a.m. Quick change into workout garb. Out the door by 5:20. Stop @ the ‘buck for a coffee and drive to the gym. Working out by 5:40. Back home by 7:30. One chore. Then shower and dress for the day job.

  • Kristina

    Wednesdays are my studio day and I have the same morning routine whether going to my day job or my studio day. I get up at 6am, let the dog out and have a healthy breakfast with some green tea to wake up. I shower, dress, make the bed and then check emails. I do a quick check of Facebook in case there is a birthday, but otherwise avoid it until the afternoon as my end of day treat. I spend about an 1.5-2 hours answering emails, making phone calls or other things I can do to get off my list at the start of the day. I get into the studio usually at 9:30am and either get to work on what I’ve already begun or take time to clean up, look through my sketchbook and idea book to decide what to work on next.

  • I seem to be rising earlier and earlier these days, but that’s okay by me. It depends on the morning but most mornings I’m up by 6. I set the coffee to start at 6, so by the time I’ve washed and brushed it’s ready. Then I empty the dishwasher and generally make smoothies and a cooked breakfast for my teenage sons. While they are eating I quickly check over my e-mails and a few other things. I have finally broken the habit of reading every article that comes my way and dump them into a file to read in the evening. I then drive the boys to school. If it’s a day at my “other job”, then hubby will drive them. That is pretty much every morning. On the days that I’m not working at the outside job (which is only another month) I go for a 1/2 – 1 hour walk in nature (sometimes longer). This is my time to meditate and recharge. After that I come home and paint until about 2:30 when I pick the boys up from school. Fridays I go out plein air painting with a local group. Tuesdays are marketing days (unless it is something urgent).

  • Donna

    I’ve been retired from a 9-5 for the past 2 years, which means I was in the habit of painting late into the evenings. I still do which also means I get up late. I don’t get out of bed until 9:30am. I need at least 8 hours of sleep. There is so much to do, I don’t see how I used to find the time to work a full time job. I get up & pray, read, meditate, eat breakfast, exercise, run errands, eat again, do housework, watch a little tv, cook dinner, THEN I go into my studio. I love spending time on my art but want to start doing it earlier in the day. I need to make art a priority. So I should probably wake up earlier. ..I just love those covers!!

  • My early mornings begin at 6(sixam) with taking my roommate to work at his school.
    Most days I come back and go straight to my canvas, this past week/ half I’ve been under the weather so I’m resting.


  • Tea preparation first, then put clean dishes away. Sit with tea and an art book. Currently reading The Vanishing Velazquez. I had no idea about the work of this painter and now have researched his paintings via the web. I read Richard Schmidts book – though I am a pastel painter – his philosophy is universal for painters in all media. Others I look at and absorb are Wolf Kahn, Degas, The Group of Seven, Cezanne. All inspire my work.
    Review the weeks to-do lists and fill in what is needed for the rest of the day and then get on with the work of being an artist: PR, website, FB, blog, or newsletter then a walk with the dog and head to the studio.
    Those are the best days. Then there are days with early am meetings. I am involved with my community in a couple of groups. But always back to the studio. Artliveslong.

  • Thanks Alyson for this question. I decided last month to revamp my morning routine since the old one doesn’t serve me well any more. My previous routine reflected my needs in a time of grief, which I have been emerging from for a while and so have outgrown the routine.

    This is what I am keeping and what I am changing: Up at 7:30 with coffee as usual, read a good book rather than listening to the news during breakfast and until 8:30, then optional chores in silence, connection with family, check email. Another option is a walk. All in silence, no radio.

    Same 9:30 time to enter studio. Instead of starting right in (always a struggle) I now sit in meditation/prayer. I set up a sacred space right in my studio with a comfortable chair and a small table. I first concentrate on family, community and world, then asking for renewal of energy, focus, and passion for my work, sufficient for the day. I find that this exercise helps me set my intention, and I am able to work longer and better, with more joy. So far, so good!

    Next I need to set the best time for business aspect of studio work, formerly done in the morning which turns out to be my best art making time.

  • I’m developing my morning routine as the new retiree. I find myself opening up the house, walking out to my glass enclosed studio porch and focusing on where I left off in the painting process. I enjoy the quiet of the morning… just the other day noticed that a deer was just waking behind my house where it had slept all night.
    This lucky encounter should help to solidify my early rising and studio time.
    I have also begun to display smaller paintings in the kitchen to help me to continue working on them.
    I have a weekly calendar where I list everything that needs to be done that day. I check things off at the end of the day and circle things still remaining to be done. This is helping me to see what I have done each day- yes, accomplishment and accountability in one.
    Before the calendar I found myself in a state of confusion doing a lot of rewriting and feeling less focused. I see Sunday night and Monday’s as a look-over for the overview of the week, where I take time the look at the month’s activities and plan accordingly. I remember this idea from the planning CD…thanks Alyson.
    Right now I have several things I am planning toward: memberships in local art groups; entering national shows; teaching classes for the fall; renting a small gallery to show my work; sending query letters to Publishers/ Art Distributors; designing an art brochure and of course doing the work as a full-time painter! I continue to listen to your CDs in my car😀

  • Off to the gym for me on Monday & Wednesday mornings. I find it gets the blood flowing to my body and my brain. (The other days I am on the treadmill in my basement.) Those 20 minutes on the elliptical are great for pondering new ideas, or planning an email strategy or website update. Home for breakfast and then usually the business side of my art – checking email, working on an email campaign, etc. Studio time is usually in the afternoon and/or evening. I find if I get the office stuff out of the way first, I don’t have it lingering in my head and distracting me when I am painting.

  • I love my mornings. I am a creature who makes what others might consider requirement into ritual so that my mornings become a peaceful, focused foundation for a day that will, as a rule, be spent painting until the right brain begs off, then writing till the left brain wears out when I return to painting. The creation of dinner and enjoying it wraps the day.

    AMs, I rise, restore the bedroom to order and enjot a half a cup of strong black coffee in a delicate old Japanese cup while I study Human Design. That is followed by a bit of beet juice and a probiotic and a good toothbrushing. Then, yoga, sometime accompanied by music, sometimes by the birds or rain, 25 – 40 minutes.

    Breakfast – the basics of which (frozen berries because of all the juice they give off when they thaw) have thawed overnight in the fridge – consists of the aforesaid berries, banana slices, shredded coconut, possibly some finely chopped pecans or gluten free granola topped with excellent cinnamon, Hersheys extra-dark cocoa, cardomom and something called Be Bright which is a combination of four oils (coconut, cumin, avocado, hemp seed).

    Breakfast and I commune a bit as I am very sensitive to the fact that all these living foods are giving up their lives for me to live. I promise them to be the best me that I can be to honor them in the world. I usually enjoy a good book (could be anything from a delightful novel to Art in America to a scientific study) with the meal.

    What can I say? Detail matters to me and both order and scheduling matter to my body. Together we enjoy a rather lengthy morning ritual which once grounded me for my “day job” and now is a gateway to a heavenly day of doing my own work.

  • My days are so predictable. I am a realtor in addition to being an art. Anyway, if l have control of my Monday. I am all over it my day will start with the beach or painting. If I do not have control of my day…Well l beome an indentured sevice to my real estate clients.. Than I have to steal a date
    Another day to make up for my lost of my Monday


  • My best days begin with a prayer of gratitude and surrender while my young dog goes out to water the backyard. The prayer must be short because she’s quickly on to the next thing which happens to be breakfast. After we’ve finished that, she urges me to put on her harness to go out for a walk. Here’s where I find some surprising questions or insights in between keeping the curious dog from possible critter habitat. We usually end up at the studio door and I look at what needs to be done. She seems to understand my need to work there and she settles down on her little dog bed. Sometimes I think she knows better than I how much I need to make art.

  • Lynne R

    I am now retired so up by 8:00. Breakfast then on to the computer to check email, Facebook and Twitter and do some marketing. I usually linger longer there than I should, but on studio days I like to start painting by 9:00 for a couple hours – that seems to be my limit without a break. Before I know it it is noon and I need to get my workout in before lunch.

  • Mandy

    Up at 4:30am, thanks to my dog Gracie (I love dawn). Get the coffee started, quick trip outside for Grace, on the way back to bed grab a coffee, listen to ‘A Course In Miracles’ podcast lesson for the day, go for a run with Grace while contemplating the day ahead, then into the studio, answer a few emails… & the day is well underway before 7am.

  • My morning routine goes like this most weekdays: up between 6-6:30, make coffee and breakfast for my husband (he leaves for work around 7:45) and tea for me while we watch morning news. After breakfast, I make the bed, wash and dress for the day and occasionally read my daily devotional. Next I check my email then aim to be working in the studio (my dining room at present) by 8:30-9. I’ll work until noon then break for lunch and get back to work from about 1:00-3/3:30. During the day if I have finished work to be photographed, or framed I’ll run those errands as well.

  • Honey Lea Gaydos

    Alyson’s question about morning routine got me to thinking about the difference between routine, habitual behaviors done without thinking and ritual, meaning-filled actions done thoughtfully with intention. Like many of you, for decades my mornings were full of harried, hurried routines. With the luxury of working only for myself at last, I find some routines have been reborn as rituals. Most days waking up, having tea, and preparing for the day are more ritual than routine.
    The first thing I do when I wake up is check in with myself. How am I feeling? How did I sleep? I love James Hillman’s book on aging, The Force of Character. In it he talks about the special significance of age-related changes in sleep from a psychological and spiritual perspective. Sleep is a big deal! Depending on those answers, I go spinning at the Y later or do Rodney Yee’s gentle AM yoga routine making the choice based on what my body wants and not just what is necessary.
    I make tea (a special Harney and Sons blend called Hot Cinnamon Spice) using the silver tea pot I was given as a wedding present. It used to sit tarnishing on the buffet until one day I thought, “What am I saving this for?” At local antique shops, I bought a slim silver breakfast tray, a very fine bone china cup with a tiny gold spoon, and linen napkins with a crochet border. All for less than $25.00! Using these beautiful things, I linger over my tea, read the local paper, study art and design magazines, consult my calendar, e-mails, texts, and Facebook accounts. By then both my sweethearts (one two-legged and one four-legged) are up, and I am ready to get going.
    I always put on make-up even though I work at home. Painting my face is like painting a canvas, ── one with a rough surface! I especially love choosing earrings to wear. My little private joke is putting on beautiful earrings every day with my ratty studio jeans and t-shirts.
    I am very grateful for the time now to actually think about how to start my day and for the sheer joy of transforming routine into ritual.

  • Snooze-alarm 15 minutes, make bed, get coffee, check news, facebook, email, handle immediate correspondence, finish drying laundry and fold/hang it, shower, head to morning job or paint session.

  • I’m so jealous of all you morning people! I’m embarrassed to say when I get up. My morning always begins with a pot of tea and oatmeal while reading daily meditations and checking email and social media. Then if I have sold a painting I pack and mail it first thing. On my happiest days I then paint, however other things take priority all too often.

  • Kristin

    I get up at 4:30, make coffee, check my phone, head into my studio. Paint a small picture, post it on Instagram (every single day) then get on with my day, children, breakfast, lunches, school and then back to the studio at 9:30 am to get to work. The early free hours are my favorite, I’m not beholden to anyone but myself and my own imagination, I’m free to do anything, and I revel in the gift of the early morning hours.

  • I have coffee delivered to me. Go to my office – do business. Exercise. Try to get everything I must do out of the way so I can create in the afternoon. Not entirely successful with this, but working on it.

  • Since menopause, my sleep has been more fractured. 28 years of being a full time professional artist, when I’m asked I still tell the story that on painting days (Mon- Thurs unless I’m travelling) I get up , go for a run and am in the studio an hour or so later to paint. In reality, now I wake up with whatever sleep I’ve had – a sleep in is so sweet these days. I run some days. Some days I catch up on writing. Some days I gym. Some days I start in the studio as soon as it’s light. For a while, when I shared a paper delivery with my elderly neighbour who couldn’t get out of the house to pick up from the lawn, I read the paper. Avidly and peacefully. And I think that is the clue. That hour or so that is mine, without words and people, is not necessarily ritual that extends ‘Me Time’ but is the beginning of the ‘ work time’. It’s an essential part of the creative process in a situation where a commute is from kitchen to studio rather than across a city. (And ‘work time’, sorry office workers out there, it is almost hedonistically MY time too.) Wouldn’t swap it for quids.

  • Ellen Pavlakos

    My mornings usually start very early, opening my bedroom window that sees my garden.
    I spend the first beautiful half to an hour checking the bonsai and all the plants and taking care of their needs.
    That always clears my head, makes me feel good.
    While I have my coffe and a soft boil egg, I check my list that I have prepared the night before with the most important things that I need to focus on.
    There are always extra things that pop up that get my attention. Some can be avoided, but not everything. If I am working on a commission, I jump to my work for about 3 hours without interruption and that’s how I usually start my day…

  • I get up at 6, take a shower and make a pot in a French Press, then toast wheat tortillas and have several with butter, or Melt, non-dairy you know. Then on to eggs and a second cup, followed by a short walk. I begin work at 9 a.m. and work until noon, trying to get throwing done before lunch, including trimming previous days pots. Then comes lunch, afternoon work until 4, then to Vitamin Cottage for groceries and, if its spring, summer or fall, lighting the grill or turning on the oven. Supper with a glass of chilled wine, fruit for desert, and if deadlines are looming, back out to the studio for work in the evening. The main thing is to keep showing up. Keep working.

  • Hi Alyson
    I start my day at 6:30am with prayer & meditate on how I am to go about my day. I clean up, have breakfast & exercise. I work as a production artist three days a week & I freelance my portrait artwork the others. I always live in the solution, so there is always a challenges in my life to strive for. I love meeting new people because with new people, there are new ideas.

  • Sandhya Manne

    My day starts quite early… I am up by 4:30 am and off to shower..5-6 am yoga time and then I head to the Kitchen…make breakfast, lunch, and some parts of dinner, pack lunch…get the kids ready for school by 7:45…then off to clean up the kitchen, have breakfast and hopefully by 9 am, I get to the studio…( I have a help who comes over to clean up the house, do the dishes and dry the laundry, take away the trash…. )
    I wish…I could get to the studio the first thing in the morning…I am very productive in the early hrs…but am committed to the kids and house for at last next 10 yrs…
    I plan my day the previous night and also do a weekly planning on Sunday evenings…

  • I am so impressed with all the artists that get up early and get right to work on their art! I am definitely not a morning person. No matter what time my alarm goes off, I hit the snooze button a few times before finally getting up. Then it’s coffee, breakfast and checking email, news etc. By the time I get going, it’s mid to late morning. I seem to work on my art on small patches of time, in between doing other things. I would like to adjust my routine to have a more consistent block of time for working on my art.

  • I am thinking we are all crazy. But what more can we do each morning than get up and exercise, responsibilities, and pray for time to paint later. After retiring I thought time would stop. Ha, that hasn’t happened yet. So with everyone thinking I am sitting home watching soapies and eating bonbons, I decided to get up at four o’clock am and paint. No one bothers me. I feel rejuved after being alone and throwing paint and then I can do the above feeling great. By four in the afternoon I am no good to anyone, but by then, everyone has settled down and doesn’t want me anyway.

  • Have loved reading everyone’s posts on morning routines. Mine starts around 6:30am with throwing on comfy clothes and doing daily chores, including feeding two hungry cats. Once I’ve gotten past chores I make a hot buttered coffee with coconut oil (trying to eat healthy fat first thing), and sit down at my computer to take a look at email and my to-do list (Things). I invariably shuffle things around a bit on my to-do list, and lately rather than keeping all 20-30 things that are needing my attention, I whittle it down to 10 (with Alyson’s voice in my mind saying “you can’t do everything”. After getting my to-do’s for the day decided, I take a quick look at email and respond to what needs responding to, followed by reading a few favorite blogs. On a good day I can set aside a few hours to focus on art-making, but lately I’ve been juggling getting ready for a few shows, which pulls me in another direction. I’m so much wanting to get to a point of scheduling large blocks of time for art-making, such as 3 hours a day. That would be heaven!

  • I wake up and make coffee anywhere from 5am-7am. Check email and social media. Consider what project I have. Set up and work on one of my handpainted scarves. Try not to panic about bills coming due. Reread positive affirmations. If I have a networking meeting or other appointment, shower and dress. I might also upload new photos to website and social media, write a newsletter, write a blog, write a page or two about how not to apply for a day job while building my business. May require lying down until feeling goes away. Do some household chores as a way to avoid anxiety about freelancing. Read email about a day job someone sent me. Seriously consider it. See a pattern here?? Lol

  • My day begins between 5 and 5:30. After breakfast and getting ready for my day job, I work in my studio until 7:45. It may also mean checking into FB and Instagram. I am out of the door, usually rushing, and at work by 8:30. I work three days a week for a private practicing dentist. Usually get back around 6 or 6:30 and find myself totally bushed after dinner but walk the woods anyway to attempt to get in at least 5,000 steps a day. Lately, since the days are longer I ride my bike after dinner and search for pictures. If the golden hour looks like it will be beautiful, I drive to either a park, a trustee property, or down to the water front in Boston to look for pictures. In the winter my days are so short, that I find myself watching to much TV after dinner. I use the other two days a week to print, work on projects, catalogue my images and exercise.

  • My morning routine actually begins the night before; where I list the major tasks that I want done the following day. When I do wake up the following day, I start with a prayer. Then exercise for a minimum of 30minutes outside. (I push myself to go outdoors since I spend most of my work time indoors.) After that, I do the following: read parts of books or articles (15-30mins tops); clean the house while listening to motivational videos on You Tube. I then have breakfast with the family. If my family had breakfast already, then I just listen to more motivational videos while I eat alone.

    All of the activities listed above are usually done by 9 to 9:30 am. Then I settle down to work in my home office until noon.

    That’s pretty much my usual morning routine. It only deviates if I have a meeting in the morning or I bumped into a friend on one of my runs/ exercise. When that happens, I just move my scheduled reading and/or exercise time in the evenings.

  • I relished reading the morning routines and rituals. I a woman of a certain age, and menopause is a rear view mirror event.

    My Weekday Mornings:
    5AM-6AM Rise and shine time.
    Need to entertain myself for 30 minutes to 1 hour before eating. It’s a med thing. So I cuddle up with the iPad, a large mug of half-cafe coffee and a cozy blanket and study. Right now I am taking an online travel writing course which leads to studying travel articles and honing in on photography skills. Sometimes Facebook and Twitter accounts are opened, however, most of the time not. This early block of time flies by.
    6:45AM Eat.
    Savor A tasty low glycemic high protein breakfast of hard boiled eggs, instant oatmeal with dried fruit, fruit or veggies and coffee. Boiling enough eggs for the week, and assembling single serve portions of instant oatmeal with dried fruit and nuts saves beaucoup time and money and might even boost creativity. I like to think the creativity part is true.;)
    7AM—8:30AM Go for it!
    Get myself ready for the day and work in a couple of morning chores.
    8:30AM Studio Time
    Enter the studio, pull up the roman shade, whisk open the curtains and turn on some lights. Love to see the outdoors! On the desk is an artist/writing journal opened and garnished with two super sharp pencils. Right away, I can write at least one bulleted entry onto the ongoing gratitude column. Throughout the day I devote small amounts of time to write or draw on the journal pages. The daily drawing and writing goal is to wear down the lead on the pencils. I print out customer emails and jot down three studio chores to finish during the day.
    9:00-12PM Focus on Creativity.
    This is coveted, much appreciated time. It is phone free, unplugged time. It is manage one important task time. I work on a customers website design or an illustration or write articles for my website. I feel that this dedicated time is as important as Susan B. Anthony felt about fighting for women’s right to vote.

    Today’s first gratitude entry is, “I am grateful for weekday mornings.”
    The thought of retirement brings on anxious feelings. The thought of working as an artist for the rest of my life fills my days with contentment.

    Thank you Alyson for inviting us to write about our morning routines. Everyone has an interesting morning story.

  • Linda

    Well, it’s not Monday or even the right week, but here is my Monday routine:
    I’m not a “morning person” at all and I work at home so I get up around 10ish, make coffee, get dressed, have coffee on the patio in the sun with my husband, read the paper, prepare a plate of food for each lizard (2 iguanas, a bearded dragon and an alligator lizard), clean up any dishes from the night before, throw in laundry. I’ve made Mondays my “do the computer work for the business” day. I paint and show/sell my art at two all-day regular venues each Saturday & Sunday, plus various other art shows.

  • I have a pre-teen and a teen – which makes mornings slightly more hectic for me. Despite being a night owl, I get up every morning at 630-walk the dog and then endure a chaotic, breakfast period of getting the kids to eat, put away the dishes and get ready for school. By 830, the kids are at school and I am home. From 830-lunch I have a really hard time being creative. I check emails, do computer stuff and package/send out online orders. After lunch, my creative juices finally start kicking in and I will sketch, paint or make lists of things I want to paint/make. I would love for my morning to be more creatively productive, but instead I am wide awake painting after dinner until 11pm or later.

  • Jeff Duke

    I have been a Methodist Minister for 34 years and will retire in 6 weeks. My morning routine has been to set the day’s work for the preacher and the artist gets what’s left over. It is a miracle I have done what I have done. I have shared my studio space with the washer and dryer. I have had Church members tell the Admin. Board that I wasn’t paid to paint and try to sell. I lost my art supplies for 15 months when FEMA took over my Church after Katrina and stored them. People tell me I’m too young to retire. I’m 61 and retiring to my art, finally. This is blessed and ordained by , none other then God!

  • Andrea

    Currently I rush around like a chicken with my head cut off because I didn’t bother getting things ready Sunday night. I like to stretch the weekend out as long as I can so I end up not preparing Sunday night. So, Mondays are full of messy haired boys, unorganized back packs, lunches with crazy snacks foods and rushed breakfasts. I’m trying to get back into calm routines and 5k runs in the morning… and writing. I write best with the morning sun streaming in the window and my muse sitting beside me, filling my mind with words.

  • Oh wow, I love hearing what everyone is doing. I am at a point in my life where art is pretty close to the top of my list. I wake up at 6, coffee with some quite time to give thanks and ask for guidness. Some time I make a list for the day. I then go for a walk or to my exercise class, come home check my e-mails and tidy up the house and then up to my studio around 10. and I’ll be up there all day with a brake for lunch. Some days I have other artist stop by to paint and one that make jewely. I am bless with a sweet husband ,2 kids and 3 grandkids.
    Aloha, Robin
    PS plus I get to live on beautiful Kauai

Leave a Reply

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>